Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: Twitter!

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Shem, is this you?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
nicole

Post by nicole »

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Gunshot wound, COVID, and divorce? Lemme guess, three grandmothers also died?

Methinks the veal are running the farm.

Seriously, though, the "Unlike my wife, I expect you to not cheat" line is just priceless.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
nicole

Post by nicole »

Yeah, unfortunate about the misplaced modifier though.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 18:24 Yeah, unfortunate about the misplaced modifier though.
There are a few grammatical issues considering he's teaching an upper-level English course.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 21:24
nicole wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 18:24 Yeah, unfortunate about the misplaced modifier though.
There are a few grammatical issues considering he's teaching an upper-level English course.
At the highest levels, English does away with grammar.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
nicole

Post by nicole »

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 10:59
I mean. How much more heavily regulated can you get?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Nicole, I figured you might have something to say about this.

Also, I like the pronouns in her bio.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Is there anyone who puts more work into being basic than pseudointellectual twitter trads?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
nicole

Post by nicole »

This but "in that frame it's clearly the worst"

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Wait, are you not allowed to use the word 'fuck' on Twitter?
nicole

Post by nicole »

No, you definitely are

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

hahahahahaha my days of not taking those people seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If she thinks men are bad when we argue with women, she should watch us argue with each other.

Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men.
--Mo
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

thoreau wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:54

If she thinks men are bad when we argue with women, she should watch us argue with each other.

Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men.
It's like the whole mansplaining thing. I realize it's irritating for women but that's just the way most guys talk to each other.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I think about the number of times that my sci-fi geek friends who have not studied any physical science past the first year of college will say to me "Ah, but technically, what if the quantum state was..." or something like that. Mansplaining? Or dudes messing around?
--Mo
Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:54 Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men.
That is easily the most true thing you've ever said. I'm sigging it for a spell.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Painboy wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 16:06
thoreau wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 15:54

It's like the whole mansplaining thing. I realize it's irritating for women but that's just the way most guys talk to each other.
Given that she specified "men on the internet," I think she's talking about something far worse (unless maybe, when men speak to each other, they're far more arrogant than I previously suspected --but if they were, I doubt civilization would've lasted this long): there really is a subset of man who seems to think "Anytime I admit a woman might know more than I do about any given subject, my penis loses half an inch of length." Couple recent-ish examples I can recall: Paul Bullen, who got a bit of twitter infamy for arguing with a female gynecologist over the difference between the vagina and the vulva; the man who insisted he knew better than women how many tampons are required to get through a typical period; the man who decided to mansplain outer space to a literal astronaut ...granted, there's a type of arrogant asshole man who refuses to admit ignorance in any context, and is quite an asshole to his fellow man about it (check the archives for some of Randian's greatest hits for examples -- though his infamous "talking about hitting a hornet's nest is racist" complaint is on one of the vanished prior forums), but such men tend to get extra-condescending when speaking to a woman ... and they really do think the wikipedia article they read once on a subject, or even their own "who knows where they came from" ideas, make them more knowledgeable than a woman who is literally an expert in that field.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

The guy who argued gynecology with a gynecologist is a fucking moron. I'll merely point out that there are men who try to argue all sorts of medical issues with male doctors.

The guy who argued periods with a woman is a fucking moron. Unless he's in the market research division of a tampon manufacturer and actually knows the buying habits of the typical customer, he should shut up. And if he is working in market research for a tampon maker, he should shut up to avoid alienating a customer.

As to the astronaut case: I have encountered geeks with precious little science training try to nitpick science lingo with me. (I'm thinking of some guys in my D&D group.) In fact, there is at least one person on this forum who tried to nitpick things with me when I said that if you have enough energy to change the rotation of Venus then you also have enough energy to accelerate a space ship to relativistic speeds.

None of this is to say that a non-scientist has much of a leg to stand on when they try to argue the definition of spontaneity in thermodynamics with an astronaut. They don't. As long as the questions are "Is that dude an idiot? Is he annoying?" the answers are "Yes and yes." But if the question is "Do male scientists also face that crap" believe me, the answer is also "Yes."

Another example: A common occupational hazard of saying "I'm a physics professor" is that people will tell me "Say, you know, the problem with how physics is taught is..." I hear this from people who majored in STEM, I hear this from people who dropped out of STEM, I even hear it from people who last took physics in 11th grade. I hear it from people who work in higher education and people who dropped out of high school and everyone in between.

Anyway, a couple of years ago several math professors were standing around chit-chatting. Some of them were male and some were female. A non-mathematician joined their group (it was a social mixer at a university event), and once he learned what they do he said "Say, you know, the problem with how people teach math is..." A woman mathematician reported it to me as mansplaining. Not being an idiot, I sympathized rather than saying "Yep, happens to this pale male all the time too." But inside I was thinking "Yeah, I get that all the time. There's nothing unique to you being female here. Hell, half the people he was saying that to in your own story were men."
--Mo
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

BTW, you know who really likes to tell me what's wrong with the way physics is taught?

Women with PhDs in non-quantitative fields. So many women who last took a physics class a few decades ago in high school (or maybe 1 class in college) have told me that if physics were taught differently they would have become physicists because they love Stephen Hawking's work, but the subject was taught all wrong and so my profession never got to enjoy the benefit of their talent. They've never set foot in my classroom or perused one of my assignments, but they're sure I'm like their high school physics teacher, and they're also sure that physics is like a Stephen Hawking documentary.
--Mo
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oh, sure, there are people with inflated ideas of their own knowledge to be found among both sexes, and certain types of men who are dicks to both sexes as well -- but still, there IS a certain condescending "you can't possibly know your shit" attitude which women face far more frequently than men.

You already know the example of the blind auditions: when musicians trying out for an orchestra had to play behind curtains, so the judges could only hear the music without knowing who played it, the number/percentage of women who made the cut skyrocketed.

With that in mind, consider the (surely male) judges in these auditions, the ones who would reject a stellar performance if they knew a woman did it, though in blind auditions they could and did recognize that her performance was the best: no doubt some are outright misogynists who have already decided "Women don't belong in orchestras, no way will I pick one" -- but there's others who probably LACK that insight. They think they'd judge male and female performances equally, they might even have the grace to be embarrassed if they realized "Holy shit, the number of women I chose grew greatly once blind auditions started, I REALLY need to engage in a bit of self-reflection here, to find and address my prejudices" ... but when they listened to a musical piece performed by a musician they KNEW was a woman, somehow they'd manage to find nits to pick which they would not even notice if a male did the same thing.

And that-all isn't even getting into the double standards of, a man is "assertive" where a woman is "bitchy" or "shrill"; a man has "confidence" where a woman has "arrogance," and so on.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b