Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: Twitter!

Post by Andrew »

Hugh Akston wrote:@PeanutFreeMom is the best thing I have ever seen on Twitter.
Wow. That is unbelievably pitch-perfect.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

That's pretty genius.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

That provided my amusement for the morning.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Classic Neil Hamburger :

At age 12. @FataleBzitro: Forget mama. Forget papa. My baby's first word is gunna be BRITNEY.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Brilliant.
The Italian family down the street are celebrating another 'festival' for some 'saint'. They better keep it down.
I'm not AGAINST Italian culture! I drink Sangria at the Olive Garden for crying out loud. They treat me like family there
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Andrew wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:@PeanutFreeMom is the best thing I have ever seen on Twitter.
Wow. That is unbelievably pitch-perfect.
Is this person for real, or just an incredible simulation? I honestly can't tell.

I read a few entries, and I was like, "This person needs a good strangling." Then a little bit later: "No. This cannot be."
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Michael Moore is unsurprisingly a shithead:
@MMFlint Michael Moore

Pres Obama, show some guts & arrest the CEO of Standard & Poors. These criminals brought down the economy in 2008& now they will do it again

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

dbcooper wrote:Michael Moore is unsurprisingly a shithead:
@MMFlint Michael Moore

Pres Obama, show some guts & arrest the CEO of Standard & Poors. These criminals brought down the economy in 2008& now they will do it again
This is the best thing I have seen all day.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

benschwartzy

ben schwartz

Wow, three weeks without "News of the World" and Britain goes nuts.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I just read the Peanut-Free Mom thing, and second Stevo's question: is she for real, or not?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

Once I got over the initial shock, and read some more, I think she's a put-on.

Probably.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I thought so too, but that kind of mom can descend into self-parody pretty fast.

I need to learn how this Twitter thing works. Except I have this idea it's mostly for people who use their phones to go online?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway »

Jennifer, I use Twitter mainly from desktops, so it's not just phones. It's very network-effect-y tho. If you don't have a lot of people to follow, it's completely uninteresting. If you don't have anyone following you, then you're just talking to yourself in a closet. But what's nice about the rest of these folks (makes expansive gesture to include all grylliaders) is that they're very nice about following people who follow them. And you can inject yourself into other people's convos by directing tweets at them.

I'd suggest giving it a try, and following some of the folks here, and seeing the folks they follow, and just build up a group.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway »

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I follow twitter through google reader. Can't participate in the conversation but I do get to read all of it.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

I use Twitter from a desktop. (Well, really a laptop that I use almost entirely as a desktop.)

I use it to:

1) Vent.

2) Release odd random, and usually inconsequential, thoughts that form in my brain, which happens all the time. "I think a movie titled Narnia and a Half Weeks would be interesting." "A mash-up waiting to happen: Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' and McCartney's 'Maybe I'm Amazed.' Get on it, somebody!" "Two aurochs walk into a bar. The bartender shooed them out: 'We don't serve ur-kine here.'"

3) Occasionally participate in the meme games.

4) Follow various witty people (some professional comics and comedy writers, some not) to read their bon mots and entertaining observations, complaints and mini-rants.

5) Occasionally pick up links to interesting articles and amusing videos.

Usually my Twitter participation is in the form of a mini-break from work. It might be more fun to participate by phone, but then it would also be much more time-consuming, I fear.

One thing: I personally avoid attempting to conduct political arguments on Twitter, at all costs. It's hard to convert or convince anybody in 140 characters, although that's more than sufficient to offend or alienate someone. So I usually ignore the frequent ignorant lefty comments I hear from most of the people I follow. However, I may occasionally link to a news item or retweet someone else's comment that might be politically thought-provoking. In addition, other people are often better at arguing than I am, or may have other goals than conversion when they talk politics, so YMMV.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I use it to send links etc to friends without bothering them with lots of emails.

I also enjoy chatting to Jesse Walker on it.

tr0g

Post by tr0g »

It's good for all the things Stevo mentioned. I tie it into my Facebook account, so I use twitter as my one stop update for social media.

Being a firm believer in the old axiom "brevity is the soul of wit", I find having a stark character limit to work in to express a thought makes me work harder on what I'm trying to say. Yeah, it's artificial, but if I want to go long form, there's always the blog.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

tr0g wrote:Being a firm believer in the old axiom "brevity is the soul of wit", I find having a stark character limit to work in to express a thought makes me work harder on what I'm trying to say. Yeah, it's artificial, but if I want to go long form, there's always the blog.
This is also one of my excuses reasons for being on Twitter. I'm a pretty wordy, expansive writer. Twitter gives me a chance to regularly practice being concise.

Relatively concise.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Jennifer wrote:I just read the Peanut-Free Mom thing, and second Stevo's question: is she for real, or not?
Totally satire. It's some dude from Boston.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly »

From lianamaeby (Liana Maeby):
Spider-Man was the original web comic.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Carl Weathers should do 1 more action movie so he can throw the head bad guy into a vat of boiling liquid & say, "now you got a stew going."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Dropping a deuce and out of toilet paper? Just shoot me a text bro. Half-open door handoff incoming. #bestroomyever
:)