Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Of course I've got a blog. Who doesn't?

Post by Eric the .5b »

It's stupid, but I think it's a stupid lack of hypocrisy. They want to vastly increase the power of government without lying about it like the Reds, and they have real cognitive dissonance with the fact that Reds are and will be in power.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Eric the .5b wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 20:19 It's stupid, but I think it's a stupid lack of hypocrisy. They want to vastly increase the power of government without lying about it like the Reds, and they have real cognitive dissonance with the fact that Reds are and will be in power.
Except, "hypocrisy" is not le mot juste for whatever the hell it is they lack. Hypocrisy, arguably, is stuff like "Make allowances for people you like, but not for those you don't." Adultery from members of your party is destroying America, whereas adultery from members of my party is a personal issue and nobody else's business. My party can be trusted with this power because we're good, whereas your party can't be trusted with this power because you're bad. That's hypocrisy. But "Your party is bad, and doing bad things, so have more power to do bad with" ... it's some type of fuckuppery, but I don't think it's hypocrisy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 20:26Except, "hypocrisy" is not le mot juste for whatever the hell it is they lack.
Agreed. I only mentioned it because you used the word in the title.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I wrote an essay that I am happy with and think can do better than my no-traffic blog, but I don't think I can get it into a paying venue. So I'm trying out Medium.

" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 12:13 I wrote an essay that I am happy with and think can do better than my no-traffic blog, but I don't think I can get it into a paying venue. So I'm trying out Medium.

I'm not familiar with Medium, but I've been considering firing up my no-traffic blog again, only this time using FB to link to new posts.

I've also toyed with the idea of trying to gin up some freelance work, but then I remember, oh, yeah, that means I'd actually have to consider my audience and edit my long, rambling, paragraph-long sentences and then the idea passes.
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

thoreau wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 12:13 I wrote an essay that I am happy with and think can do better than my no-traffic blog, but I don't think I can get it into a paying venue. So I'm trying out Medium.

No bearing whatsoever, but what I know about Medium:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/14/2121 ... best-worst
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Kwix wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 03:13

No bearing whatsoever, but what I know about Medium:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/14/2121 ... best-worst
Cynically, that just means Medium isn't as big a failure as a blogging platform as many people thought.