cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2019, 13:05

Speaking of interiors and such, this article is about an interesting observation: cars are lasting longer than ever before, mechanically, but interiors are pretty much the same as ever, so they're going to have to be re-engineered to last as long as the mechanical parts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 211617001/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2019, 16:40

JD wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 13:05
Speaking of interiors and such, this article is about an interesting observation: cars are lasting longer than ever before, mechanically, but interiors are pretty much the same as ever, so they're going to have to be re-engineered to last as long as the mechanical parts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 211617001/
There's a lot to be said as to the driving and maintenance habits of the owner regarding auto longevity. That goes tripple (at least) for the interior. The only thing that's going to give out no matter what you do is the cushion in the driver's seat (and other seats that get used regular) everything else can be kept in good condition if you make a point of doing so.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ellie » 13 Nov 2019, 16:14

I was in a budget planning meeting today and the campus planner went off on a brief tangent about how do you handle needing way more parking on your campus now, but knowing self-driving cars are coming down the pike (except you don't know exactly when)? It was a really interesting thing to ponder! (I'm so glad I'm not a planner.)

Edited to add: actually, now that I say that last bit, I remember that my working title is Budget Analyst but my official title actually is Budget Planner. Y'all, I might not be cut out for this job :lol: :lol: :lol:
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Nov 2019, 19:26

Ellie wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 16:14
I was in a budget planning meeting today and the campus planner went off on a brief tangent about how do you handle needing way more parking on your campus now, but knowing self-driving cars are coming down the pike (except you don't know exactly when)? It was a really interesting thing to ponder! (I'm so glad I'm not a planner.)

Edited to add: actually, now that I say that last bit, I remember that my working title is Budget Analyst but my official title actually is Budget Planner. Y'all, I might not be cut out for this job :lol: :lol: :lol:
Budget planning maybe notequal physical plant planner? All you have to plan is the shifting of the money. They have to also figure out parking structures and self-driving cars.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Nov 2019, 19:44

Ellie wrote:

This sounds like one of those problems that's not a problem. Build some parking now. When you're done with building that, evaluate if you still need more parking. If the answer is "Yep, still need more parking" then you build more parking. Then repeat. When you have a point where "Hey, now we don't need more parking" then you stop building. And when you have empty parking structures and lots, you start building other buildings on the parking lots (like every college and university has been doing for the last 50 years).

If you're building parking structures now, then you leave the structures up and build on the surface lots that are left.

This is probably the "way too simplified engineer" thing, but this definitely seems like the easy direction to have the problem. It would be much harder if you think "We don't need the parking lots now, so lets build buildings on them now" and then you need the parking later.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Nov 2019, 21:28

Highway wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 19:44
Ellie wrote:

This sounds like one of those problems that's not a problem. Build some parking now. When you're done with building that, evaluate if you still need more parking. If the answer is "Yep, still need more parking" then you build more parking. Then repeat. When you have a point where "Hey, now we don't need more parking" then you stop building. And when you have empty parking structures and lots, you start building other buildings on the parking lots (like every college and university has been doing for the last 50 years).

If you're building parking structures now, then you leave the structures up and build on the surface lots that are left.

This is probably the "way too simplified engineer" thing, but this definitely seems like the easy direction to have the problem. It would be much harder if you think "We don't need the parking lots now, so lets build buildings on them now" and then you need the parking later.
I'm surprised to hear you talk this way. In the first place, building a little at a time can be vastly more expensive than planning and committing to a multi-year build out. In the second place, It's pretty clear that while yes, they know they need more parking now, it's not at all clear if they'll need that parking five years from now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Nov 2019, 22:12

Warren wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 21:28
Highway wrote:
13 Nov 2019, 19:44
Ellie wrote:

I'm surprised to hear you talk this way. In the first place, building a little at a time can be vastly more expensive than planning and committing to a multi-year build out. In the second place, It's pretty clear that while yes, they know they need more parking now, it's not at all clear if they'll need that parking five years from now.
Based on the way AV development has cooled off, it's a pretty certain bet that there won't be a significant rollout of fully autonomous vehicles within 10 years (and this is certainly not my preference, I feel the sooner the better, but they need to be pretty foolproof). On top of that, Ellie's in Minnesota, which may be one of the last populated places in the US that autonomous vehicles are put in service, due to the significant bad weather conditions. Minimum level 4 would be fine in Arizona, but usable vehicles in Minnesota would need to be near level 5.

And you can have a plan, but in the world of construction, you don't get a whole lot of economy of scale with a long term plan. Everything is going to cost pretty close to "time and materials". It's not like some constructor is going to give them a package deal for a buildout in the future, and they're not going to be able to lock in prices now if something's not built now (at least not without escalators that are probably worse than the actual increase in prices will be). The places they'd save is on things like mobilization, scheduling, and borrow / waste, and that's not related to the long-term plan. That's related to "how much are we building right now."

My assumption in all of this is that the school is intending to address their parking shortage with multi-level parking structures as opposed to land acquisition and surface lots. Another assumption is that the school already has a significant amount of surface lots, and part of the plan is the conversion of some of those surface lots to structures, as cash flow allows. Further, if they get to a point where the rollout of AV and other mobility services is accelerating faster than what they planned for, they can then change the plan from converting more surface lots to multi-level parking structures, and change instead to allocating those surface lots to future school non-parking facilities.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Nov 2019, 22:00

I got to drive a friend's Miata today. Holy shit was that thing fun. Definitely not big enough for someone my height and with my leg length, but that just added to the experience.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Nov 2019, 23:37

Andrew wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 22:00
I got to drive a friend's Miata today. Holy shit was that thing fun. Definitely not big enough for someone my height and with my leg length, but that just added to the experience.
I'm barely short enough, but you should try one after it's been supercharged. (No, mine hasn't yet, but I've driven one from the company that will do the work when I finally do get it done for mine.)