The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Painboy »

Kolohe wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 18:19
Warren wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 09:30 Uncut Gems

Not only is Adam Sandler unfunny, he also can't act.
I took am a bit vexed at the positive reviews this got. Sandler is actually fine - he normally plays self absorbed assholes, and this wasn’t out of that range at all. But the overall production just seemed so amateurish, from the way too long run time to almost all the main actors having basically this movie as their sole career credit. (And those that are good and established are way underused for their talent)
This has been on my watchlist for a little while. I haven't seen it yet though but I seem to remember reading the directors are into a kind of Cinema Verite thing. It's actually supposed to look amateurish to make it feel more real. Obviously that can go to far.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Painboy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54

I took am a bit vexed at the positive reviews this got. Sandler is actually fine - he normally plays self absorbed assholes, and this wasn’t out of that range at all. But the overall production just seemed so amateurish, from the way too long run time to almost all the main actors having basically this movie as their sole career credit. (And those that are good and established are way underused for their talent)
This has been on my watchlist for a little while. I haven't seen it yet though but I seem to remember reading the directors are into a kind of Cinema Verite thing. It's actually supposed to look amateurish to make it feel more real. Obviously that can go to far.
If I had paid to see it, I probably would have stuck it through, but watching a free copy I felt simultaneously bored and annoyed and turned it off about halfway through.

I have nothing against comedic actors, even comedic actors I don't particularly like (read: Sandler) trying their hand at dramatic roles and, yeah, it had a small budget ($19m) and definitely felt indie, but not in a particularly innovative or interesting way.

*shrug* The movie made money. Some people liked it, and that's fine.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm really enjoying Lovecraft Country. Nothing deep to say. It's fun, campy, and weird. Plus the main antagonist is a lithe white girl who is constantly tormenting a black man. Kinda hilarious with the black man's kryptonite hanging over it.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 20:11
Painboy wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 19:54

If I had paid to see it, I probably would have stuck it through, but watching a free copy I felt simultaneously bored and annoyed and turned it off about halfway through.

I have nothing against comedic actors, even comedic actors I don't particularly like (read: Sandler) trying their hand at dramatic roles and, yeah, it had a small budget ($19m) and definitely felt indie, but not in a particularly innovative or interesting way.

*shrug* The movie made money. Some people liked it, and that's fine.
I did wind up watching it in two separate chunks about 3 weeks apart, and was pretty close myself to jumping ship. I very much liked the ending, (i.e. the conversation between Sandler and Kevin Garnett) but it was such a slog to get there.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

As workplace comedies go, Mythic Quest is enjoyable. Their quarantine episode is good. F. Murray Abraham as George R. R. Harlan Ellison is fun. Not Silicon Valley good, but a nice short comedy binge. Sort of a flipside to The Guild.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Gotta hand it to Wes Craven, it cannot be easy to make a movie with as much gratuitous nudity, dick biting, and chainsaw murders as plodding and dull as the Last House on the Left.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Short doc about spending four months on the Kergeulen Islands in the Southern Ocean. Aka the Desolation Islands.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 19:56 Short doc about spending four months on the Kergeulen Islands in the Southern Ocean. Aka the Desolation Islands.

I TA'd a science-requirement class in grad school that was self-paced where you only had to show up to take a series of quizzes during class hours, but to start taking the real quizzes you had to pass a find-these-places-on-a-map, where you were given 10 to find out of 100, and had to get either 8 or 9. But of course the TAs had to be able to grade them so we had to learn all 100. The only one I didn't know going in was the Kerguelen Islands.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Candyman was pretty decent, but I can see why they're remaking it. A black man is tortured, mutilated, and murdered by racist thugs and then goes on to haunt the Cabrini-Green housing project, starring...white people.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Bill Burr's SNL monologue gives me hope. Gen X funny people apparently give one tenth of one shit what some fucking Millennials and Zoomers say on Twitter. Wokeness is fucking over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1xgXJ5_Q34
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

thoreau wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 02:40 Bill Burr's SNL monologue gives me hope. Gen X funny people apparently give one tenth of one shit what some fucking Millennials and Zoomers say on Twitter. Wokeness is fucking over.

Your lack of wokeness has been noted. Please step into your personalized punishment sphere.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Burr’s material was a bit less ‘tight’ than that I would expect from a guy who has been on stand up stages of thirty years.

But I thought Chris rock was off his game last week as well. A podcast brought up a good point that with the comedy clubs all still closed, nobody can really workshop their material and get the audience reaction timing just right.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Bill Burr does tend to ramble a bit on stage anyway. For those who liked his Saturday Nite Live monolog, Netflix has his 2019 special, Bill Burr Paper Tiger available.

I agree that neither he nor Chris Rock were at the top of their game on SNL, but they're not trying to make a name for themselves in Show Business at this point. What I mean is, for both of them and for people like Dave Chappelle hosting SNL is more like a fun gig, not a career enhancing move.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

thoreau wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 02:40 Bill Burr's SNL monologue gives me hope. Gen X funny people apparently give one tenth of one shit what some fucking Millennials and Zoomers say on Twitter. Wokeness is fucking over.

Yessir, if anything is going to define cultural trends going forward, it's the generation currently careening into middle-age.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 11:33

Yessir, if anything is going to define cultural trends going forward, it's the generation currently careening into middle-age.
At 52 for Burr and 55 for Rock, I'd say they're careening days were already behind them.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Well, it isn't 30 year-olds making the final call on whether to fire someone or cancel an ad campaign or whatever. People old enough to think SNL is culturally significant are making those decisions. The person who caves in to the millennials and fires a white chef for making "ethnic" food has generally had a colonoscopy or two. The person who agrees that the observatory will apologize for complicity in white supremacy is old enough to remember rotary dial phones. The person who disciplines a professor for saying a Chinese word can probably remember those giant cell phones that looked like bricks.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Given his spiciest comment is that white women have hijacked the woke movement, which is not so much congruent to, but exactly a complaint in the woke movement itself*, I'm finding the monologue a lot less subversive/defiant than you're selling it to me, Thoreau.

In fact, when I look on Twitter, I see a lot—a lot—of people going on about how offensive Those People undoubtedly find it or how mad it makes them...and not a lot of people saying how offensive they found it or how mad it made them.

Even after getting post the fuckton of "lol, he done told libruls" posts, I had to get past dozens of very woke-sounding black men and women posting about how he's right about white women before I got to a single black woman actually raising an eyebrow about "equator people" and "bitches". I have yet to actually hit tweets from all the angry white feminists supposedly aghast, mind.

* One I might defend some of the time, but given it's also thrown out by people who will literally go on about how the most important thing about a white person beaten to death for being a trans woman is that she benefitted from white patriarchy, far from all the time.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Recently watched Nightcrawler which I thought was quite good. It's about a sociopath, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who finds his calling chasing down grisly accidents and crime scenes with a video camera to sell the footage to the local news. Gyllenhaal has a mesmerizing kind of performance in it. He plays such a weird and disturbing character. Not in a loud grotesque kind of way like Phoenix in Joker. It's much more subtle and creepy. He wears expressions that he clearly learned from careful study of those around him, not because he actually possesses those emotions. So his expressions always seems to be slightly off from what a normal person would be expressing since he's just basically trying to fake them. This gives a tension to the whole movie where you know things are going to go bad, it's just a matter of when and what he's going to do when it happens.

Although I don't always consider the Oscars a mark of high quality, I was a little surprised he didn't even get a nomination for this role. Granted the role isn't exactly Oscar bait.

The tone of the movie itself at times is almost black comedy but it keeps things just grounded enough to be appropriately grim when it needs to be.