Random covid-19 observations

Aresen

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Aresen »

In Canada, we do things OUR way:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Why don't Canadians know what a meter is?
WAIT
Nevermind that. When did Canadians become giants that play with six and a half foot long hockey sticks :o
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 17:35 Nevermind that. When did Canadians become giants that play with six and a half foot long hockey sticks :o
This was my concern as well
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Highway wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 11:19 As of 8 PM tonight, Maryland will be under a Stay-at-Home order. Supposed to stay at home unless going out for "work, food, or other fundamental reason", which seems vague enough that it couldn't withstand too much of a challenge in court, but I supposed that's not really the point. I don't know if there will be much in the way of enforcement either, but I'm not planning to test it.

Virginia announced about the same thing this afternoon (on purpose)

Practically, I didn’t see much difference to what had already been the recommended course of action, and also, I don’t expect as a forty something white guy who dresses shabbily but not homelessly to in any way get hassled if I’m just going along minding my own business.

My wife said that a couple of the local craft stores she shops at, today went from ‘you can drive up we will put stuff in your car’ to ‘mail order only’.

All the various construction projects and beginning of season lawn and landscaping services around the neighborhood still seem to be proceeding as normal.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

FWIW, Alton Brown said the only thing white vinegar is good for is as a cleaning agent.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

That's mostly what I use it for. Once in awhile to add a touch of sourness without flavor, the way apple cider vinegar has.

ETA: And for making fake buttermilk, when needed in recipes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 22:26 FWIW, Alton Brown said the only thing white vinegar is good for is as a cleaning agent.
I use to think that. But I've found white vinegar to be my preference in pickling brine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

White wine vinegar and rice vinegar are the two preferred neutral or lightly flavored cooking vinegars.

I use rice vinegar for quick pickles.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I make up a half gallon of brine and pickle pints of whatnots for a year or more. Usually carrots or chili peppers. Rarely cucumbers.

I've re-used chili brine to infuse heat into hard boiled eggs that I then made deviled eggs out of.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I like fennel, onion and cuke strips quick pickled with chili brine. Use rice vinegar for that.
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 17:35 Why don't Canadians know what a meter is?
WAIT
Nevermind that. When did Canadians become giants that play with six and a half foot long hockey sticks :o
An ice hockey stick is a piece of equipment used in ice hockey to shoot, pass, and carry the puck across the ice. Ice hockey sticks are approximately 150–200 cm long...
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_stick)

150 - 200 cm = 4.92 - 6.56 ft

So six feet is fairly normal, I guess? (True that that is only very roughly two meters, though.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
nicole

Post by nicole »

Or, 200 cm = 2 m

Just sayin
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 11:48
WAIT
An ice hockey stick is a piece of equipment used in ice hockey to shoot, pass, and carry the puck across the ice. Ice hockey sticks are approximately 150–200 cm long...

So six feet is fairly normal, I guess? (True that that is only very roughly two meters, though.)
Wikipedia wrote:Zdeno Chára, the NHL's tallest player ever at 2.06 meters, has a special exemption to use a 67-inch (170 cm) shafted stick.
It seems that the NHL limits stick length to 160cm. So I'm thinking, they make 2m sticks which are then cut to length by the consumer.
Last edited by Warren on 31 Mar 2020, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Shem wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 15:03
JD wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 14:42 Mainiacs don't fuck around.
A group of armed vigilantes cut down a tree and dragged it across a man’s driveway in Maine to force him to quarantine in his home amid fears he could be infected with the coronavirus, officials said.

A man residing on Cripple Creek Road in Vinalhaven, an island off the coast of Maine, called authorities around 3:35 p.m. Friday to report a group of people with guns had cut down a large tree and dragged it in front of his driveway, blocking access to the main road.
Now that's some Olde Tyme social sanctioning.
Vinalhaven is the kind of place where they speak a hyper local dialect that makes it hard to order breakfast if you grew up anywhere on the mainland. It's basically the island from 'Storm of the Century'.
JD

Post by JD »

Dangerman wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 12:24 Vinalhaven is the kind of place where they speak a hyper local dialect that makes it hard to order breakfast if you grew up anywhere on the mainland. It's basically the island from 'Storm of the Century'.
Oddly enough, I was aware of Vinalhaven only because as a kid I read John Bellairs' book The Spell of the Sorceror's Skull, in which Vinalhaven features.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

There's also Northhaven, which an outside observer might think is part of the same island, but I wouldn't say that in front of any locals.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 12:21
JD wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 11:48
WAIT

Wikipedia wrote:Zdeno Chára, the NHL's tallest player ever at 2.06 meters, has a special exemption to use a 67-inch (170 cm) shafted stick.
It seems that the NHL limits stick length to 160cm. So I'm thinking, they make 2m sticks which are then cut to length by the consumer.
*sigh* You people are all forgetting to add the length of the player's arm as he attempts to decapitate you with his stick.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Dangerman wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 12:24
Shem wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 15:03
JD wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 14:42 Mainiacs don't fuck around.
A group of armed vigilantes cut down a tree and dragged it across a man’s driveway in Maine to force him to quarantine in his home amid fears he could be infected with the coronavirus, officials said.

A man residing on Cripple Creek Road in Vinalhaven, an island off the coast of Maine, called authorities around 3:35 p.m. Friday to report a group of people with guns had cut down a large tree and dragged it in front of his driveway, blocking access to the main road.
Now that's some Olde Tyme social sanctioning.
Vinalhaven is the kind of place where they speak a hyper local dialect that makes it hard to order breakfast if you grew up anywhere on the mainland. It's basically the island from 'Storm of the Century'.
So they're the dumbasses who let Wings guy bully into not killing Stephen Miller.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I love the smell of lavender in the morning. Smells like victory.
20200401_112522.jpg
20200401_112522.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
Annemarie ordered about a week ago. The initial shipping date was something like the middle of May, but then she got an alert it would arrive this week (and it actually arrived yesterday)
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm guessing the supply chain for most things has sorted itself out. That computer my wife ordered yesterday that was guaranteed by Friday arrived this morning.

Sooner or later, the poor bastards who are shipping and trucking and unloading and shelving all our necessities, broadly construed, will start dropping like flies, but demand around here for toilet paper has dropped faster than gas prices.
Twba

Post by Twba »

I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

When the current crop of minor children comes of age, their generation will have far higher rates of OCD/germophobic tendencies than any of their parents or grandparents did.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Shem

Post by Shem »

Jennifer wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 14:32 When the current crop of minor children comes of age, their generation will have far higher rates of OCD/germophobic tendencies than any of their parents or grandparents did.
That's not how OCD works.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Twba wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 12:22 I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
Dont worry. You'll be using hockey pads and a football helmet for armor as you mount your mechanical steed to scour the wastelands in search of gasoline soon enough.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 16:03
Twba wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 12:22 I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls.
Dont worry. You'll be using hockey pads and a football helmet for armor as you mount your mechanical steed to scour the wastelands in search of gasoline soon enough.
Ugh. I'll pass. Go ahead and just take my shit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT