Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

dead_elvis

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by dead_elvis »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 00:20

I saw this on politico and was hoping it wasn't a real thing.
Yeah I mean, "I heard from my brother" is not the gold standard of journalistic sources and there's always the possibility of political bias causing people to leap to conclusions, but at the very least the Times article corroborates that there's a disturbing lack of transparency around the whole thing that stinks to high heaven.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

Purely anecdotal, but I feel like I've seen more unsafe driving around here lately. People have an unfortunate tendency to speed on 3rd and 4th Avenues, because they're wide and very straight, and when they're mostly empty it only encourages it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

David came downstairs this morning with a cough, so I made him go back up to his room. I know that is pointless because if he does have COVID we're all doomed since we're up each other's asses so much in this house we'd definitely all have been exposed five hundred times by now. But still. I need a "la la la, not thinking about this!" break or I'll tip over into panic.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Damn, Ellie! Stay safe!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

There was an early episode of the Walking Dead where a swine flu was sweeping through the prison and killing both people and livestock. Carol being Carol pulled the sick people out of quarantine and burned those fuckers down. Not sure why that came to me just now.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If David has the Rona, let me know. I'm hoping to raise an army of the damned to march on Mar Lago and sneeze on every french fry, every TV remote, and every golf club.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

dead_elvis wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 19:19Almost put this in Competing Political Horrors because while I'm sure there are plenty of question marks about how HRod would have handled things and I'm sure FEMA would probably screw things up somehow, I'm pretty sure shit like this wouldn't have happened.
I would have scooped you, but by only a couple of hours. But there are more sources now.

It's some shit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 12:06 David came downstairs this morning with a cough, so I made him go back up to his room. I know that is pointless because if he does have COVID we're all doomed since we're up each other's asses so much in this house we'd definitely all have been exposed five hundred times by now. But still. I need a "la la la, not thinking about this!" break or I'll tip over into panic.
I advise you take the entirely sensible action of wrapping David in plastic wrap and putting him in the closet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 16:33
Ellie wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 12:06 David came downstairs this morning with a cough, so I made him go back up to his room. I know that is pointless because if he does have COVID we're all doomed since we're up each other's asses so much in this house we'd definitely all have been exposed five hundred times by now. But still. I need a "la la la, not thinking about this!" break or I'll tip over into panic.
I advise you take the entirely sensible action of wrapping David in plastic wrap and putting him in the closet.
Works for Roy Orbison.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Highway wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 10:30 There is a truism to motorcycle riding: It will eventually kill you. The only way it won't is if you stop riding or die of some other cause before the motorcycle riding kills you.
Of course, that's true of everything, isn't it?

(I do take your point, and agree with it, though.)
Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 17:33
Warren wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 16:33
Works for Roy Orbison.
*subtle knowing not*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

We really need a new shrugging emoji with Trumps face on it
Trump conceded to CNN's Jim Acosta that there will not be mass coronavirus testing for all Americans when the country goes back to work.
"We want to have it and we're going to see if we have it. Do you need it? No. Is it a nice thing to do? Yes. We're talking about 325 million people and that's not gonna happen, as you can imagine, and it would never happen with anyone else, either," the President said. "Other countries do it, but they do it in a limited form. We'll probably be the leader of the pack."
We already are leader of the pack, chief.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:07 We really need a new shrugging emoji with Trumps face on it
Trump conceded to CNN's Jim Acosta that there will not be mass coronavirus testing for all Americans when the country goes back to work.
"We want to have it and we're going to see if we have it. Do you need it? No. Is it a nice thing to do? Yes. We're talking about 325 million people and that's not gonna happen, as you can imagine, and it would never happen with anyone else, either," the President said. "Other countries do it, but they do it in a limited form. We'll probably be the leader of the pack."
I wish he'd just give his friend Bojo a nice hug and kiss.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:11
Hugh Akston wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:07 We really need a new shrugging emoji with Trumps face on it
Impeachment couldn't stop him, what makes you think a virus could?
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:13
Aresen wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:11
Impeachment couldn't stop him, what makes you think a virus could?
Viruses* have more integrity than Senators.

*Virii?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:46*Virii?
Google wrote:Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
The verdict is: “The English plural of virus is viruses, not viri.” Merriam-Webster agrees, as does TheFreeDictionary. Wiktionary offers the following usage notes: The plural is often believed to be viri or even virii, but neither is correct Latin and both are neologistic folk etymology.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

"virus" is a super weird word in Latin. It looks like it's second declension masculine, which would make the plural "viri", the same as the plural of "man". But it's very clearly neuter since there's an attested use of "virus" in the accusative, which makes it some weird fourth declension neuter fucked up thing. Which make the Latin plural either "vira" or "virūs".

But obviously neither of those are the plural in English.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Virodes.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Memo to self: Never try to out-nerd the gryll.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

David's cough is gone! Or he's hiding it really well lest I send him to his room again. I'm back down to normal levels of anxiety, at least.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

d5dff548ea5ef3134b2841c11ee56dfccf317808.jpeg
d5dff548ea5ef3134b2841c11ee56dfccf317808.jpeg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
The real question is why *wouldn't* you want cats commanding spacecraft?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

For nicole: Pandemic Puts IVF treatments on hold

Cranking out more kids is obviously a necessity during the pandemic.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

For the COVID-19 epidemics in several European countries, estimates of the number of infections and the impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions.

https://imperialcollegelondon.github.io ... estimates/#/

Looks like their model has some big variances between countries.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Man. Those press conferences by Trump are getting really really weird. Like even weirder than last month.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex