Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Warren

Re: Corona(virus)? ITS NOT EVEN BEER DAMMIT!!!

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 17:22 I am, reluctantly, in agreement with Warren.
Your reluctance is unWarrented
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

Wow, Richard Epstein has found a way to be even more intellectually dishonest. I’m surprised the Hoover Institute let this fly. For t and Jadagul, is this the sort of stuff that leads to losing tenure?

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

If he were untenured, this should could sink him at most schools. If it was a fight that people felt like having. And the administration wasn't too worried about his lawsuit, or feared the negative PR from keeping him more than the negative PR from dismissing him.

Once he's tenured? Lame excuses for publishing bullshit are almost always accepted. Especially from celebrity intellectuals at think tanks with ideological predispositions.

EDIT: But, honestly, I've seen people memory-hole a few things during tenure cases. I mean, I never saw such things, but I know a dude who heard such stories. But who knows? Sergeant Raymond Shaw is the kindest, warmest, bravest human being I've ever met.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Mo

Post by Mo »

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

Mo wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 14:31 Well, that’s not good.

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2
What? It's not like anyone was promoting it as a curative.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Yeah. Heart issues. It's almost like any respectable doc was saying that from the beginning.

Also. News to me but we cant get some people off the fucking ventilators easily. To much lung scarring. Apparently the scarring isn't confined to a lobe but the entire lung surface.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 20:44 Yeah. Heart issues. It's almost like any respectable doc was saying that from the beginning.
Those docs are losers. How many of them even have the ratings of a shitty sitcom, let alone the season finale of the Bachelor?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Would it be churlish of me to hope that those who volunteered for the study were Trump supporters?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 20:44 Yeah. Heart issues. It's almost like any respectable doc was saying that from the beginning.

Also. News to me but we cant get some people off the fucking ventilators easily. To much lung scarring. Apparently the scarring isn't confined to a lobe but the entire lung surface.
What do you even do when that happens?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Shem wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 21:48

Right now? Nothing. We didn't even pd cath them for the kidney problems that have developed. Maybe another time.

Also the kidney malfunction stuff I've been hearing about is apparently the virus taking the place of iron in hemoglobin. So it's stacking up in the kidneys til it overwhelms the filtration system. Between 15% and 30% of ventilated patients are going to need a new kidney or be on dialysis for the rest of their life.

Good day of learning. :(

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jesus, Pham, that's hideous. Those poor, poor people.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Shem

Post by Shem »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 22:19

Right now? Nothing. We didn't even pd cath them for the kidney problems that have developed. Maybe another time.

Also the kidney malfunction stuff I've been hearing about is apparently the virus taking the place of iron in hemoglobin. So it's stacking up in the kidneys til it overwhelms the filtration system. Between 15% and 30% of ventilated patients are going to need a new kidney or be on dialysis for the rest of their life.

I meant, does the scarring heal, it are we talking iron lung forever here?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Its scarring bro. You can decorticate a lung but the entire lung? Both of them? I'm going with no for now.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I'll be honest, the more I read about the effects of fighting off this virus, the more I feel like I *need* to avoid getting it. The stuff about "Silent Hypoxia", the links between higher BMI and severity, the lasting lung damage, now kidney malfunction and damage. But I'm also glad that these things are being found out, and that hopefully they will inform future treatment. It definitely seems that there are people who need earlier interventions than they've been getting, mostly because of the overwhelmed nature of the medical system.

Really, it makes me want to just work from home (knowing that I'm really fortunate to be able to) for the rest of the year or until there's a vaccine.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

We just cant test without major symptoms. Not enough kits.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 10:03 We just cant test without major symptoms. Not enough kits.
Yeah, I know. I look at Gov. Hogan buying half a million test kits (and then Trump trying to get in a pissing match with him about it), and think "wow that's a lot" and then "That's not even 1/10 of the State population."

I also wonder about what treatments there even are for someone in that 'silent hypoxia' stage? Can anything be done to fight off the virus so that it doesn't continue progressing to that kind of lung damage? Yes, focusing on oxygenation is a good step, but is that doing more than treating the symptoms? We're still talking about a viral infection, and I haven't heard of treatments that are really doing anything about it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Lots of O2 really is it. Viruses replicate in cells. Human cells. Killing the cells kills you. Prevention is really your best option. Think of it like going from sea level to high altitude.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 22:19

This is really why I'm on team precautionary principle on this one. Too much unknown downside vs. the odds of downside being true and widespread. For all the excellent research done on the virus at a breakneck pace, we really don't know much about anything yet. So much of what we do know is anecdotal. So many unknowns- does it hide and re-emerge? Why is it affecting different people such different ways? How much and for how long do survivors have immunity, if at all? We're still learning how it damages which organs, and to what extent. How does treating long-term organ damage weigh in on the "it's costing more to keep the economy closed" balance sheet (if one is inclined to view things that way)? Too many unknowns with serious consequences for both life and economy to be content with "just let 'er rip".
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
JD

Post by JD »

My wife has decided to start offering masks for sale. I can get anyone here a discount if you want, and please spread the word in case anybody else is interested.

Probably should have started offering these for sale weeks ago, but oh well...
Last edited by JD on 22 Apr 2020, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Fuck yeah!

Highway

Post by Highway »

Good to hear. Looks like a similar mask pattern to the one my wife made me. I find it's pretty comfortable.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Very cool! I'm set for masks, but I shared the post on Facebook.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

On second thought: I went ahead and sent your wife an email to see about ordering some. Jeff and I do indeed have masks, but I'd like something other than white, because even in the midst of a horrible pandemic I'm vain enough to think "Gee, I wish this mask didn't make me look so washed-out." (Plus, one of the four white masks we have has those stupid brown bleach-solution stains on it. And I'd like to have enough masks that when we take one off I can put it in the regular laundry, rather than have to hand-wash it RIGHT NOW in case I need it again before the next laundry day.)
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Shem wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 09:28I meant, does the scarring heal, it are we talking iron lung forever here?
Not for the ~80% or so who just die after being put on respirators. :/
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 22:56 On second thought: I went ahead and sent your wife an email to see about ordering some. Jeff and I do indeed have masks, but I'd like something other than white, because even in the midst of a horrible pandemic I'm vain enough to think "Gee, I wish this mask didn't make me look so washed-out." (Plus, one of the four white masks we have has those stupid brown bleach-solution stains on it. And I'd like to have enough masks that when we take one off I can put it in the regular laundry, rather than have to hand-wash it RIGHT NOW in case I need it again before the next laundry day.)
Thank you for the sharing, and thank you for the order! Last night my wife suddenly turned to me and said "I just got an order from Jennifer", so that was a pleasant surprise.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston