The Techno-Bleg Thread

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

1 and 2 are going to put a hurt on 6, although I don't know what your definition of reasonable is. I think to get that kind of integration with a stylus, you're into high end tablets, like Galaxy Tab S vs Galaxy Tab A ( I like my Tab A but it's really just a browsing / reading / games / videos tablet).

The other thing that'll drive the cost is how much memory, and do you want cell connected, or would wifi be fine. I tend to think that wifi is fine, especially if you can tether to your phone. But that's not the case for everyone.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18723
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by dbcooper »

thoreau wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 01:09 I've decided that after sitting out the whole tablet thing for a decade I should get one.

Here's what I from a tablet:
1) Write things with a stylus and convert these documents to a .pdf, so that I can easily store and share notes and equations, or connect to a projector and show equations as I write them.
2) Annotate .pdfs with a stylus, so that I can grade.
3) The usual email, browsing, etc.
4) As little bloat-ware as I can get away with.
5) A reasonable battery life.
6) A reasonable price tag.
7) Not an iPad. (I will never be able to think of myself as an Apple Guy. Astronomers and education researchers all use Apple, so I don't.)
I went through a long period of look into tablets, and the iPad was the only reasonably priced option. I won't buy a new one until there's been a big upgrade in the memory though.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19733
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Hugh Akston »

I had a Kindle Fire for about a minute before I decided that dealing with Amazon's shit was not worth it. I bought an iPad pro and I use it every day.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30194
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 01:09 7) Not an iPad. (I will never be able to think of myself as an Apple Guy. Astronomers and education researchers all use Apple, so I don't.)
You still pouring corn syrup on your pancakes?
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by thoreau »

WiFi is fine.

The other reason I want to eschew Apple, besides contrariness, is that I have an Android phone and Windows laptop. I would like to get some learning curve and syncing benefits, rather than have to keep up with 3 different things.

(I could do an MS Surface, but it costs more than a good Android tablet.)
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Mo »

I have a Dell 2 in 1 as my work PC (Dell 5300) and it solves all of those, except it's crappy as a tablet only. Depending what you need, a 2 in 1 could solve your need.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by thoreau »

I am not on schedule to get a new work laptop for a while, and I mostly want to use this for work. This will be a personal purchase to make my work easier.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

I found having just a single iPad, while using Android phones and windows computers was a bit of a pain in the butt. So our last two tablets have been Samsung.

Something you should look into if you're interested in marking up PDFs with a tablet pen: is there software that can do it, and how much does it cost. You might end up needing software that costs more than the tablet to do that. Or if you need to mark up another format, see what software you need for that. That might drive your decision more than just the cost of the tablet itself.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20446
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

So, I need suggestions and I need them ASAP on a desktop gaming computer complete (can't be home-built from components) somewhere in the $1k - $2k range. That should include, though they could be separate plug and play, a monitor, camera and keyboard. It needs to be bought and delivered and up and running before Sunday. I think that means it has to be available for immediate pickup at some place like Best Buy or Fry's.

Purpose: My wife is being required to conduct "virtual services" at and from her (empty) church. The old desktop the church has had since forever crashed and burned last week, so she's looking for something dependable enough just to conduct in real time a roughly one hour service she can live-post on Facebook. Yeah, a gaming computer might well be overkill and a decent laptop could probably do the job, but who knows how long this will go on and eventually the desktop could serve to modernize the church office.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 14:31 So, I need suggestions and I need them ASAP on a desktop gaming computer complete (can't be home-built from components) somewhere in the $1k - $2k range. That should include, though they could be separate plug and play, a monitor, camera and keyboard. It needs to be bought and delivered and up and running before Sunday. I think that means it has to be available for immediate pickup at some place like Best Buy or Fry's.

Purpose: My wife is being required to conduct "virtual services" at and from her (empty) church. The old desktop the church has had since forever crashed and burned last week, so she's looking for something dependable enough just to conduct in real time a roughly one hour service she can live-post on Facebook. Yeah, a gaming computer might well be overkill and a decent laptop could probably do the job, but who knows how long this will go on and eventually the desktop could serve to modernize the church office.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
You probably know this already, but now is the absolute worst time to try to buy this. There are no cameras to buy. There are no computers to buy. There are not going to be either of these things for weeks. However, on the plus side, this might not even be something you want to use a desktop for anyway.

Does the church (diocese or even national) have a platform for broadcasting over the internet? If so, do you know what software is to be used? And if so, can that software be used by a phone to broadcast? At least for a fast ramp up, that might be a far better solution for this week, or maybe a couple weeks. It's portable, it's got the camera, it's got the bandwidth (especially if the church has broadband + wifi). And you've probably got the phone, or someone trusted in the church would likely have one.

I don't know how much is being prescribed by those above your wife. But I would say that this is the time for leaning on them to give guidance, if your wife's church has not been doing this already. And yeah, that's probably not happening.

Ellie might have some more constructive suggestions, too. IIRC, her church was doing a broadcast service of some sort this past week.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20446
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Highway wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 14:49
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 14:31 So, I need suggestions and I need them ASAP on a desktop gaming computer complete (can't be home-built from components) somewhere in the $1k - $2k range. That should include, though they could be separate plug and play, a monitor, camera and keyboard. It needs to be bought and delivered and up and running before Sunday. I think that means it has to be available for immediate pickup at some place like Best Buy or Fry's.

Purpose: My wife is being required to conduct "virtual services" at and from her (empty) church. The old desktop the church has had since forever crashed and burned last week, so she's looking for something dependable enough just to conduct in real time a roughly one hour service she can live-post on Facebook. Yeah, a gaming computer might well be overkill and a decent laptop could probably do the job, but who knows how long this will go on and eventually the desktop could serve to modernize the church office.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
You probably know this already, but now is the absolute worst time to try to buy this. There are no cameras to buy. There are no computers to buy. There are not going to be either of these things for weeks. However, on the plus side, this might not even be something you want to use a desktop for anyway.

Does the church (diocese or even national) have a platform for broadcasting over the internet? If so, do you know what software is to be used? And if so, can that software be used by a phone to broadcast? At least for a fast ramp up, that might be a far better solution for this week, or maybe a couple weeks. It's portable, it's got the camera, it's got the bandwidth (especially if the church has broadband + wifi). And you've probably got the phone, or someone trusted in the church would likely have one.

I don't know how much is being prescribed by those above your wife. But I would say that this is the time for leaning on them to give guidance, if your wife's church has not been doing this already. And yeah, that's probably not happening.

Ellie might have some more constructive suggestions, too. IIRC, her church was doing a broadcast service of some sort this past week.
Thanks, but OBE. She bought something from Amazon for which they promised delivery by Friday. *shrug* Turns out they have a fairly high end camera already, so that's not a problem. If it turns out nothing arrives by Saturday, I'll lend her my barely used laptop and she can make do.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19733
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Hugh Akston »

iMacs are all-inclusive and setup in minutes, and you can get the base model for $1200
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 19064
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:51 iMacs are all-inclusive and setup in minutes, and you can get the base model for $1200
And they do tend to last damn near forever. We have one in our office that's been running more or less continually since January 2010.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:19
Highway wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 14:49
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 14:31 So, I need suggestions and I need them ASAP on a desktop gaming computer complete (can't be home-built from components) somewhere in the $1k - $2k range. That should include, though they could be separate plug and play, a monitor, camera and keyboard. It needs to be bought and delivered and up and running before Sunday. I think that means it has to be available for immediate pickup at some place like Best Buy or Fry's.

Purpose: My wife is being required to conduct "virtual services" at and from her (empty) church. The old desktop the church has had since forever crashed and burned last week, so she's looking for something dependable enough just to conduct in real time a roughly one hour service she can live-post on Facebook. Yeah, a gaming computer might well be overkill and a decent laptop could probably do the job, but who knows how long this will go on and eventually the desktop could serve to modernize the church office.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
You probably know this already, but now is the absolute worst time to try to buy this. There are no cameras to buy. There are no computers to buy. There are not going to be either of these things for weeks. However, on the plus side, this might not even be something you want to use a desktop for anyway.

Does the church (diocese or even national) have a platform for broadcasting over the internet? If so, do you know what software is to be used? And if so, can that software be used by a phone to broadcast? At least for a fast ramp up, that might be a far better solution for this week, or maybe a couple weeks. It's portable, it's got the camera, it's got the bandwidth (especially if the church has broadband + wifi). And you've probably got the phone, or someone trusted in the church would likely have one.

I don't know how much is being prescribed by those above your wife. But I would say that this is the time for leaning on them to give guidance, if your wife's church has not been doing this already. And yeah, that's probably not happening.

Ellie might have some more constructive suggestions, too. IIRC, her church was doing a broadcast service of some sort this past week.
Thanks, but OBE. She bought something from Amazon for which they promised delivery by Friday. *shrug* Turns out they have a fairly high end camera already, so that's not a problem. If it turns out nothing arrives by Saturday, I'll lend her my barely used laptop and she can make do.
Good to hear.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19733
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 16:34
Hugh Akston wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:51 iMacs are all-inclusive and setup in minutes, and you can get the base model for $1200
And they do tend to last damn near forever. We have one in our office that's been running more or less continually since January 2010.
Mine is a mere 8 years old and still able to hold its own on most non-gaming applications.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Ellie »

Is she expected to broadcast on a Sunday morning? Because right now Facebook Live is SHIT on Sunday mornings -- everyone is trying to livestream services at the same time and broadcasts can't maintain any connection. Throw in a bunch of older parishioners trying to figure out how to watch a livestream for the first time and it is a full-on shitshow.

If there is any way AT ALL to move to Zoom or YouTube livestreaming, I highly highly highly recommend it.

Second option, pre-record the service, then upload the video to Facebook and host a live "watch party" so there can still be real-time interaction among parishioners and with clergy.

If it's Facebook livestream or nothing, just make sure everyone knows up front that the connection will probably be very glitchy, and have another church staff member or volunteer watching the laptop so they can signal if the feed goes down and restart it as needed.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Ellie »

Additional benefit of Zoom is that if you have an order of service, you can make it into a Powerpoint that you play along with the broadcast so everyone at home can follow along. That worked really well for us last week (and bonus, not too hard to update week to week).

Edited to add: the pre-recorded service + watch party is probably most friendly to a one-woman show. She can do as many "takes" as she needs to get the service smooth, and then she can also talk to people or at least see what they're saying as the video plays. Our congregation is really eager for the real-time interaction which is why we're doing Zoom liturgies (with "virtual coffee hour" afterwards) but there's legit like six lay people minimum pulling it together each week.

I am more than happy to talk forever about livestreaming worship if you want to PM or even have your wife get in touch with me directly if she wants!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20446
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Thanks, Ellie. I've passed your comments on to her.
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Ellie »

We have Sprint for our cell phones. My phone got busted so I paid the $50 insurance deductible and submitted a replacement claim. It only gave me one option for a replacement, a different model than the busted phone. When the phone arrived I discovered it doesn't work with the app that controls my blood glucose monitor. (Why? Who the hell knows. It's a weirdly picky app, apparently. Very limited in what phones it works on.)

If I buy a used version of the busted phone model on Ebay (or some other old model that works with the app) can I just shove the new phone's SIM card into it and be hunky-dory?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

How does the monitor connect to the phone? Is it by WiFi or Bluetooth? If so, you could even use another phone that works with the app without the SIM. You could just use it over WiFi or Bluetooth, download the app over WiFi, and be good to go.

Now, if you don't want to have two phones to carry around, then you have to find a version of whatever phone that will work with Sprint. Different providers use different frequencies, and not every phone (especially cheap phones) has radios that can work with your provider. You'll have to look into particular models (especially the fiddly numbers and version codes) to make sure it's compatible. Then you will probably need to contact Sprint to make sure that you can switch it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13478
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Ellie »

Bluetooth, and yeah, I don't want to have to carry around two phones.

Thanks for the info!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30424
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by thoreau »

What's a good way to do synchronized movie streaming with friends? My birthday is coming up and I want to do a party where we all watch Princess Bride and Ghostbusters chitchat on an shared audio channel. I'm thinking discord or zoom for the chat. The movie part is tricky.

I looked into Netflix Party but Netflix doesn't have Ghostbusters or Princess Bride.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13898
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway »

The movie part is better with everyone getting their own copy and watching it. Paying 3 bucks for Ghostbusters and 4 bucks for Princess Bride to Amazon is not bad. It's easy enough to just say "ok, everyone start now!" and it'll be as synchronized as anything can really be over the internet. You'll be close enough to each other that you can make comments and stuff. I would suggest that everyone use headsets with noise-canceling mics, tho, so you don't get people's movie audio bleeding over.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30194
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:29 The movie part is better with everyone getting their own copy and watching it. Paying 3 bucks for Ghostbusters and 4 bucks for Princess Bride to Amazon is not bad. It's easy enough to just say "ok, everyone start now!" and it'll be as synchronized as anything can really be over the internet. You'll be close enough to each other that you can make comments and stuff. I would suggest that everyone use headsets with noise-canceling mics, tho, so you don't get people's movie audio bleeding over.
Everyone should synchronize their timepiece to WWV, start the playback and pause after the lion roars for the third time, then resume playback at the agreed upon time.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20446
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Also, just sayin', there's Pirate Bay, etc.
Post Reply