Random covid-19 observations

Highway

Re: Random covid-19 observations

Post by Highway »

thoreau wrote: 26 May 2020, 00:42 And even if the crowded pool itself is safer than I think, when pool parties are crowded there are generally crowded restaurants and bars as well. I somehow doubt that as soon as those people left the pool they all put on masks and stayed far away from each other. That pool signifies a weekend of partying in a variety of venues.
This is the part that concerns me as well. It's not the "everyone outside and relatively close to each other on the beach and boardwalk where it's breezy and open" part. It's the "Everyone then went out to restaurants and bars that night, and then hung out with all their friends that they haven't seen in two months in their hotel rooms" after that that would cause the spread.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
nicole

Post by nicole »

Number 6 wrote: 25 May 2020, 20:51
Jennifer wrote: 25 May 2020, 12:44 Lake of the Ozarks and Ocean City (Maryland) were both trending on Twitter yesterday, because it was Memorial Day weekend and those vacation spots were packed with people as usual for this time of year, zero effort at social distancing, nobody wearing a mask ... sigh.
I can't speak about Maryland, but the Missouri debacle is totally unsurprising. People here seem to have collectively decided that the virus either doesn't exist or isn't dangerous.

We deserve what we get.
Actually the way it works is any given person gets what someone else deserved. Because it’s a virus and justice isn’t real.

Week 10 of lakefront closures here and no end in sight but you can bet they’re reopening daycares and “libraries.”
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I went to local watering hole for first time since Mar 1 or so. Not many people out yet, but you get a sense mood is shifting toward normal activity. I know a lot of people who have been seriously social distancing for the duration and sharing Andy Beshear love memes who are now also tired of it.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I also found out a number of the vocal "all you idiots not taking this seriously" types have been doing small house party drinking type things for weeks.
Highway

Post by Highway »

I think the big key is how much people try to incorporate some effective changes in what they do, rather than the strict good / bad moralizing of "stay home or infect the world/kill people". Stay farther away from other people, limit your time talking to people indoors, pay more attention to if you feel the slightest bit under the weather and don't go out if you do, don't go to church where everyone's jammed in and singing.

There are plenty of countries that are operating pretty much as normal for them, because normal for them isn't as loud, shouty, singy, cheering, or in your face as the US. The more people who don't do those things, the better. Unfortunately, it seems like the most vocal want to get back to full college football stadiums and churches.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 26 May 2020, 09:25 I also found out a number of the vocal "all you idiots not taking this seriously" types have been doing small house party drinking type things for weeks.
Why am I surprised?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
nicole

Post by nicole »

I mean all our neighbors have been doing that.

I don’t care, except that I still can’t go to the fucking lake by myself at 5am when no one else is there, and schools aren’t closing permanently.

Extroverts are fucking vampires.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Highway wrote: 26 May 2020, 10:06 ...if you feel the slightest bit under the weather...don't go to church where everyone's jammed in and singing.
As a somewhat misanthropic atheist, I disagree. Just don't come and see me after church.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote: 25 May 2020, 23:01 I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a bunch of young people, outdoors, in a chlorinated pool, in direct sunlight *isn’t* that much of a virus spreader event.
I doubt that age plays a factor in transmission, just in outcomes of an individual infection. I'm sure there's no data to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that that demographic is more likely to be infected but asymptomatic and therefore more likely to unknowingly spread the virus. But since none of them have any actual immunity to it, they'd still get it until they developed antibodies, and we don't really know how long an asymptomatic person sheds active viruses.

And yes a raucous party is going to put a lot of droplets in the air and I don't think UV kills it THAT fast. The only thing about the pool that might mitigate airborne transmission is if the humidity is high enough that the droplets don't evaporate and stay large/heavy and sink out of the air column more quickly. But in that kind of proximity, not sure that even helps a whole lot.

IANAV/E
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

SocialDistancingYourMom.jpg
SocialDistancingYourMom.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Actual LOL.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

I was like
:?: ... :?: ... :?: ... :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Monkeys escape lab after attacking scientists and stealing coronavirus specimens.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11996752

No way this could turn out badly.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Man, we have descended into total anarchy, Monkey Tuesday news is now coming out on Friday.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Ragnarok is upon us .... soon the apes will assert their dominance over the planet and ends us all.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 29 May 2020, 17:40 Ragnarok is upon us .... soon the apes will assert their dominance over the planet and ends us all.
It's not the sweet meteor of death, but I'll take it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Andrew wrote: 29 May 2020, 18:57
Pham Nuwen wrote: 29 May 2020, 17:40 Ragnarok is upon us .... soon the apes will assert their dominance over the planet and ends us all.
You say that til you are enslaved to teach them monkey law.

Shem

Post by Shem »

He's going to get a job at Cooley Law School?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 29 May 2020, 22:08
Andrew wrote: 29 May 2020, 18:57
You say that til you are enslaved to teach them monkey law.
Is that anything like man law?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Urkobold warned us about this but we didn't listen.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Maybe you should take off that mask then bro
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

dbcooper wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 18:55
:roll: Well that will certainly earn them more credibility.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Friends

I offer you the black pill

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hahahahahaha!

A fucking google doc!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex