Petty annoyances

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jake wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 13:59
Highway wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:32 More about USPS outright sabotage of shipping:
Ah, so it's not just me, then.

My package tracking information has not changed since my last update. I realized this morning that if, instead of mailing the book, they'd just hidden the book in the underbrush near that Nevada post office, and I had simply started walking from my home in Oregon to go pick it up (at 3 mph for a leisurely 4 hours per day), I'd have the book by now.
Yes, but under Griswold and Roe that would have been unconstitutional.
Jake

Post by Jake »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 16:23
Highway wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:32 More about USPS outright sabotage of shipping:

My package tracking information has not changed since my last update. I realized this morning that if, instead of mailing the book, they'd just hidden the book in the underbrush near that Nevada post office, and I had simply started walking from my home in Oregon to go pick it up (at 3 mph for a leisurely 4 hours per day), I'd have the book by now.
You are clearly qualified to be an appellate judge in the state of Ohio! :D
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jake wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 16:44

You are clearly over-qualified to be an appellate judge in the state of Ohio! :D
Better.
Jake

Post by Jake »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:19

You are clearly over-qualified to be an appellate judge in the state of Ohio! :D
Better.
(For confused onlookers, DAR and I were recently involved in a mild Facebook dustup with some random moron who turned out to be an Ohio state legislator and ex-judge. She claimed that mask mandates were Constitutionally invalid, and when asked for specifics, she dropped the names of a couple of cases and then tried to handwave past the bit where those cases appear to have nothing to do with the topic at hand. She got all smugly condescending with me about how she was an ex-judge and I wasn't a lawyer so I couldn't possibly understand the obvious connections so she wouldn't bother explaining them to me... and that's when DAR gloriously popped up to ask her, lawyer-to-lawyer, what, exactly, she was talking about.

And then she vanished, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.) :)
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jake wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:38
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 18:19

Better.
(For confused onlookers, DAR and I were recently involved in a mild Facebook dustup with some random moron who turned out to be an Ohio state legislator and ex-judge. She claimed that mask mandates were Constitutionally invalid, and when asked for specifics, she dropped the names of a couple of cases and then tried to handwave past the bit where those cases appear to have nothing to do with the topic at hand. She got all smugly condescending with me about how she was an ex-judge and I wasn't a lawyer so I couldn't possibly understand the obvious connections so she wouldn't bother explaining them to me... and that's when DAR gloriously popped up to ask her, lawyer-to-lawyer, what, exactly, she was talking about.

And then she vanished, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.) :)
Our lawyer can beat up their lawyer!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Jake

Post by Jake »

More package tracking nonsense: According to the USPS, my package arrived at the "SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER" on July 7. It was listed as "in transit to the next facility" on July 11, and has been in that status since. Unfortunately, it seems to have been traveling only through time and/or between parallel dimensions, because last night's update now says:

July 24, 2020, 7:37 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

That must be a huge facility for it to take two weeks "in transit" to even make it out the door.
JD

Post by JD »

My package that had been "in transit" for over a week with no further updates suddenly arrived, so that's something. From what I can tell, USPS package delivery is just massively fucked up everywhere right now.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Jake

Post by Jake »

It has now moved on to Jersey City, NJ. Why Jersey City? I do not know. Perhaps nobody does.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Poor book. Springfield, Mass is nicer than Jersey City, if you HAVE to be stuck in one city for a few days. There's a really cool Dr. Seuss memorial in Springfield.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
dhex

Post by dhex »

jersey city is pretty upscale these days. sucks about your book though, it's probably getting takeout acai bowls at $12 a pop.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
JD

Post by JD »

dhex wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 08:11 jersey city is pretty upscale these days.
Not much soul, though. Everything's getting replaced with brand-new high-rise condos, but none of it feels like a neighborhood.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 04:23 It has now moved on to Jersey City, NJ. Why Jersey City? I do not know. Perhaps nobody does.
Too bad it's not an audio book. I mean, if that book could talk...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

YMMV I guess. I've actually been getting letters sooner than I expected them.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

We've been getting packages faster than expected, but we mostly order from Amazon. I think there's just a lot of strange things afoot in the USPS now, and some of the reporting on it seems contradictory. Trump hates Amazon, but they're prioritizing Amazon's packages?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 13:13 We've been getting packages faster than expected, but we mostly order from Amazon. I think there's just a lot of strange things afoot in the USPS now, and some of the reporting on it seems contradictory. Trump hates Amazon, but they're prioritizing Amazon's packages?
I have trouble seeing how a malicious postmaster general could possibly get enough people in place to screw the pooch this badly, unless he's just removed funding for the system checks or software maintenance or whatever that had been preventing this kind of batshittery prior to now. Tough to be sure for us because we always get Prime shipping from AZN and I haven't really tracked other stuff as well.

There's just more to this than I am getting. Are they just folding under the increased pressure of everybody ordering stuff for delivery rather than going into bricks-and-mortar stores? Are the Trump cronies interfering with their ability to get it all back on track?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Highway

Post by Highway »

Well, the easy way is if everyone's been working some overtime, if you say "Ok, no overtime from now on." then a lot of work is going to go undone. And then there are other stories I'm seeing of packages dropped off at post office loading docks that just sit. Like once things get in the system, they seem to move through the system (although in the case of Jake's book, you wonder what's going on there), but a lot of people are having trouble getting things into the system. It doesn't take a lot of priority setting to say "Yeah, don't process the packages that get dropped off on the dock until last" and have that be a significant problem for private shippers.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 19:50 Well, the easy way is if everyone's been working some overtime, if you say "Ok, no overtime from now on." then a lot of work is going to go undone. And then there are other stories I'm seeing of packages dropped off at post office loading docks that just sit. Like once things get in the system, they seem to move through the system (although in the case of Jake's book, you wonder what's going on there), but a lot of people are having trouble getting things into the system. It doesn't take a lot of priority setting to say "Yeah, don't process the packages that get dropped off on the dock until last" and have that be a significant problem for private shippers.
Ah yeah, some dumb policies that can't QUITE be called unlawful plus willful policies to understaff facilities and yeah I could see someone managing to monkeywrench a physical operation like USPS even if everyone there knows that's what he's doing. Especially if union rules would have to get nuked to do anything about it which would be another win for the Trump guys that might be unpalatable with the employees.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jake

Post by Jake »

I made a map. Tracking this package is now my COVID hobby.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

I ordered a bokken (wooden practice sword) from a Vermont woodworking company and it shipped yesterday, out for delivery today. Neener neener!
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jake wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 00:08 I made a map. Tracking this package is now my COVID hobby.

Now I'm disappointed they don't even care enough to make the package go in a penis shape.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 10:39
Jake wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 00:08 I made a map. Tracking this package is now my COVID hobby.

Now I'm disappointed they don't even care enough to make the package go in a penis shape.
Patience Grasshopper.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Highway

Post by Highway »

Related:
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Ha, I saw that- and thought cute but boy would I be ticked if I were a passenger and they added 15 minutes to an already 13-14 hour flight just to be clever.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

It sucks being a perpetual noob at linux. Just spent two hours trying to figure out why scp wasn't working to copy a file from a raspberry pi to my 'puter. First had to research why I was getting port 22 timing out errors, I find out it gives you that error for a syntax problem? Well that's not exactly intuitive. Then I have to spend another hour to eventually discover that the examples I'd found through googling is wrong- you can't just specify the file if it's in the user home directory, you have to put in the whole path name. Would have been extremely helpful if scp returned "file not found" or something like "invalid file path" and I would have had it done in 5 minutes, because that would have been the next logical troubleshooting step instead of going off on an ssh snipe hunt.

At least, in the end, I have now setup the pi as an attic cam and after scanning through the footage there wasn't any animal activity last night (we sometimes hear scuffling noises at night).