Small joys and random good things

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Small joys and random good things

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 21 May 2020, 18:26
Number 6 wrote: 21 May 2020, 18:09
Warren wrote: 02 May 2020, 09:53
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 01 May 2020, 14:03 Ellie's post reminded me this thread existed. I meant to find a thread to post a small random good thing last week. As Facebook will do, it suggested a few people whom I might be interested in 'friending' and up popped the author George Pelecanos. For those who've never heard about him, he's a D.C. based author, mostly detective genre, and worked with David Simon on "The Wire," "Treme," etc. I had nothing to lose so I pushed the invite friend button and he accepted. Not a big deal and I've yet to see him post anything, but I thought it was kind of neat.
I think journalists, writers, and such, accept all friend invites.
I'm sure many do. OTOH, I friended a novelist (Mary Doria Russell) I like quite a bit, and ended up having a personal exchange with her via messenger.
The maximum number of 'friends' allowed on Facebook is 5,000.
I friended Stephen Gordon some years ago and never bothered to unfriend him (but I must have blocked his stuff from showing up in my feed). More surprising, is that the likes of Jacob Sullum and Nick Gillespie don't have 5,000 other people they'd rather be friends with. And I while I am loath to drop names, I'm one of Radley Balko's close personal friends.
Protip: if you want libertarians to vote for you, try having more libertarian positions. Like, more than zero for example. - Philosophizing Duck
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Finally got my new washing machine today. No more trips to the laundromat!! Yay!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 22:51 Finally got my new washing machine today. No more trips to the laundromat!! Yay!
:D :!:
Protip: if you want libertarians to vote for you, try having more libertarian positions. Like, more than zero for example. - Philosophizing Duck
JD

Post by JD »

I just got a message on 23andme from someone who's a distant genetic relative, mentioning her grandmother's name, and wondering how we might be related. I went to pull some family records out of my bookshelf, and damned if the grandmother's name wasn't on the cover of the first book I pulled down.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I turned 30 lbs of raspberries into 30 jars of raspberry jam this afternoon.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 23:26 I turned 30 lbs of raspberries into 30 jars of raspberry jam this afternoon.
Nice!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I got 2000 words of melodrama written today. Would have been better if I hadn't been aiming for under 1500, but whatever.
JD

Post by JD »

I almost forgot! After all the headache with the building where my wife has her shop (new, invasive tenants with poorly-thought-out business plan), she found a new space and the old landlord agreed to let her out of the lease! And the new space is bigger, cheaper, in a better neighborhood, and closer to home!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 15:08 I almost forgot! After all the headache with the building where my wife has her shop (new, invasive tenants with poorly-thought-out business plan), she found a new space and the old landlord agreed to let her out of the lease! And the new space is bigger, cheaper, in a better neighborhood, and closer to home!
Woo! Terrific! It's always great when it can work out like that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
JD

Post by JD »

I bought an electronic drum kit! The same model that my band's drummer has, and speaks well of, came up for sale near me for a good price, so I jumped on it, because hey, why not learn all the things during COVID times? First discovery: playing drums is actually really hard. I may have to stop making fun of drummers.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Playing drums is hard, but can be a lot of fun. Just take it a little slow so you don't injure your wrists / hands / elbows with RSI.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 18:57 I bought an electronic drum kit! The same model that my band's drummer has, and speaks well of, came up for sale near me for a good price, so I jumped on it, because hey, why not learn all the things during COVID times? First discovery: playing drums is actually really hard. I may have to stop making fun of drummers.
Yes playing drums is hard. Playing bass is hard if you've never done it. That doesn't mean that we give respect to either drummers or bassists. Or guitarists. Or singers.

The only rockers to take seriously are...

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JD

Post by JD »

I went out for lunch today, and I was sort of debating getting tacos, or pizza, or going to the supermarket to get something packaged, but I eventually decided to go to the pizza place, and they were giving away free zeppole!
JD

Post by JD »

I have this old brass floor lamp that I found on the street back when I was in college; I think it dates to the first decade of the 1900s. I fixed it up and I've been using it since then, but of course the original shade was long gone, so I've just been using whatever shade seemed decent at the time. The other day I was out in my neighborhood, and somebody was throwing away a lamp which was not as nice as the one I have, but there was a really nice glass shade on it, and - the really significant part - the glass was slightly purple, which is a good sign that it may actually be period, too. So now my old lamp finally has a period-correct shade on it.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Oooh, sounds pretty! Can you post a photo of it? When I can't go secondhand-treasure hunting myself, I still get a vicarious thrill from seeing other peoples' scores.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 18:05 Oooh, sounds pretty! Can you post a photo of it? When I can't go secondhand-treasure hunting myself, I still get a vicarious thrill from seeing other peoples' scores.
This is not a great photo, and a lot of the purple in it comes from light reflecting off a purple curtain, but it gives you some idea.
glass_lamp_shade.jpg
glass_lamp_shade.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Oh, very nice.
JD

Post by JD »

I got a new nakiri, because I had store credit and really didn't need anything else, and it's like...

Warren

Post by Warren »

jelly
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Had solid food for the first time in a couple of weeks. Shrimp, clams, and mussels in a very light marinara sauce on spaghetti. A couple rolls that I dipped in the sauce. Salad.

Carb-heavy, and I had to chew carefully on one side of my mouth, but just lovely after a diet of Ensure, Boost, and cups of chicken broth.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Kickass, Eric! And how's your mouth and jaw feeling otherwise?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 23:36 Kickass, Eric! And how's your mouth and jaw feeling otherwise?
A little achey, but not bad.