Tiny Triumphs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Tiny Triumphs

Post by Jennifer »

I've NEVER had dry, cracked hands, not even in the middle of the harshest and driest of New England winters ... because I use lotion BEFORE my skin can get that way.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Heh, as an afterthought I went through the small suitcase-bag containing the toiletries we take to hotels (since I rather doubt we'll be doing any traveling anytime soon) -- found two more mini-bottles of lotion in there, so whatever else happens, we should not be plagued by uncomfortably dry skin. Good thing, too--with the state of emergency, the stores are all closed by the time Jeff leaves work, so he doesn't have the option of stopping by the 24-hour Kroger or Walmart or whatever afterwards, to pick up whatever incidentals he might need.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 00:49 ...In other news: Jeff is a grown man, intelligent, very responsible in many many ways -- but if not for me, he would not own ANY dry-skin-moisturizing products at all.

I don't want to bring up any sexist stereotypes about men compared to women, but ... damn.
I still do not want to bring up (let alone start believing) any sexist stereotypes about men compared to women, especially not the man I happen to be married to, but: a couple days ago he mentioned a minor annoyance while tending to a personal-grooming matter: he noticed (in the magnifying mirror we use for various grooming tasks) that his face was really dry, and then when he shaved it, hilarity did NOT ensue.

I'm actually unclear on the details, because when someone tells me a story starting with "My skin was really dry" I expect the next statement to be some variant of "so I applied moisturizer," and when Jeff instead mentioned dragging a razor blade across said dry skin I kinda lost focus. I recommended he use some facial moisturizer -- and warned him NOT to rub hand or body lotion on his face, because that WILL cause a major breakout -- and also I went ahead and moved my open jar of Nivea cream out of the "gold bathroom" (where we take showers) and into the "blue bathroom" (where we do personal grooming and store related stuff that doesn't do well stored in a steam room), put that jar with his shaving stuff next to the magnifying mirror, then put a new unopened jar in the old one's spot.

A day or two later, I asked him if he'd tried the Nivea cream, and if he'd noticed a difference. He said he'd tried it, and he supposed his skin is a LITTLE better maybe, but it took him forever to wash it all off.

"What?" I said. "You're not supposed to wash it off, you're supposed to rub it in until it's gone!" And he said he did, but he kept rubbing and rubbing but his face was still white from the cream. "Well, how much did you take?" and he said "Not much" but did not specify beyond that.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

If he's using shaving soap or foam from a can as a lubricant, it's probably drying out his face even more. I don't like them because I have mixed/oily skin but there are shaving oils that can be used in place of shaving soap and that do a bit of moisturizing in the process. Also, in lieu of aftershave lotion which has a high alcohol content, there are aftershave creams. As I said, I don't like the oil but I've used the aftershave cream by The Art of Shaving for a number of years now. There are other brands out there, too; I'm just not familiar with them. They're all a bit pricey, but then most men are flabbergasted at the price and quantity of skin care products women use. You might consider getting him a small 'starter set' as a gift and see if he (1) used it and (2) liked it?
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Huh. I'm just trying to imagine the areas on my face where hair grows being dry.

Trying a shaving oil might help with that. They're usually very moisturizing, though you only use a couple drops (literally) per shave.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff doesn't have much in the way of actual beard growth, presumably due to his strain of Indian ancestry (since his brother and his all-Scottish-ancestry father had or have thick beard growth). Even when he goes literally days without shaving, he still won't have so much as a recognizable five o'clock shadow; at most he looks like someone with "normal" beard growth who maybe went a day or two without shaving, then got drunk and did a really sloppy job: mostly smooth cheeks but the area around the chin and mouth is scraggly/stubbly.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

FWIW, with the Mach 3 if I've shaved even kind of recently (so beard growth isn't long) and am pretty freshly out of the shower (so the hair is still more-or-less saturated with water) I can shave with nothing but water as a lubricant.

And as one who has to use very heavy moisturizers in combination with steroid creams to prevent eczema horror of thick, cracky, flaky skin - like there's vanicream next to every sink in the house and within arm's reach almost everywhere I spend any amount of time, and hydrocortizone in all of those places and a few other stashed locations - if he puts too much on and it won't rub all the way into the skin, he can just wipe off the excess with a towel or paper towel or kleenex or the like. It will wipe away excess without removing the therapeutic amount.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 20:02 ...a couple days ago [Jeff] mentioned a minor annoyance while tending to a personal-grooming matter: he noticed (in the magnifying mirror we use for various grooming tasks) that his face was really dry, and then when he shaved it, hilarity did NOT ensue. ... I recommended he use some facial moisturizer ... also I went ahead and moved my open jar of Nivea cream ... with his shaving stuff next to the magnifying mirror .... A day or two later, I asked him if he'd tried the Nivea cream, and ... [tale of absolute failure deleted]
Don't know if Jeff is still using the Nivea or not -- I can't be bothered to pay attention to the freaking levels in the jar, especially since I'm still using it too rather than remove the internal wrapping from an unopened one -- but I remembered: in addition to those big, heavy glass jars (in a bathroom with limited counter space, since much of it is occupied by the various little plastic Sterilite chests-of-drawers we use in lieu of a medicine cabinet), I also had a tiny one-ounce tin of Nivea, which used to be in the bag kept packed with toiletries for hotel stays, but I recently emptied that bag since I don't expect either of us will be traveling anytime soon. So, just now, I moved the heavy Nivea jar out of that bathroom (Jeff had already moved it to the opposite end of the counter from his shaving mirror anyway), put it back in the bathroom where we take showers, then put the little one-ounce tin in the "grooming bathroom," specifically in the small plastic tray where he keeps his preferred pairs of tweezers, nail clippers and similar small things. Maybe the tiny amount in the partly-used tin, compared to the rather substantial amount in that big jar, will inspire a more realistic idea of "just how much of this stuff are you supposed to scoop out and slather on your face, anyway?" compared to his first attempt. And of course removing the big jar frees up a bit more counterspace in there, too.

May as well use up that little tin anyway -- I don't remember exactly when I bought it (post-Georgia, is all I know), but it must be at least two years old, given how much is left and how often we traveled overnight before this happened. I'll not mention any of this to him unless he asks about it -- but I will check the contents of the tin in a week or so. If he uses any, it'll be obvious because his fingers will leave much wider tracks/grooves in the cream than mine have.
Highway

Post by Highway »

Turned on the ceiling fan on Thursday night, and it made a horrible noise that sounded like the bearings had failed. So today I replaced it, and along the way diagnosed the problem with the new one where the light wouldn't work to a misalignment in the fakey molex-style connectors that had pushed the pin out. So new fan is up and seems to work well!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dhex

Post by dhex »

Nice!

I cut down a 15ft tree today with a hand saw. Don't recommend it!
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dhex wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 19:36 Nice!

[Insert "Lumberjack Song" joke here.]
Warren

Post by Warren »

I salute both your manly triumphs with grain alcohol!
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
dhex

Post by dhex »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 19:52
dhex wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 19:36 Nice!

[Insert "Lumberjack Song" joke here.]
It hit neither me nor my house so I'd say that I am OK...
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Voted/cancelled the vote of the friend I went to the polls with. Managed not to strangle any of the idiots without masks.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.