Petty annoyances

Warren

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Warren »

Jadagul wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 21:09
Warren wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 20:53
Jadagul wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 20:24 Batteries have gotten a lot better over the past decade. A _lot_ better.
If a thing you carry in your trouser pocket can throw 10+ kilowatts, I'd say so. Cause damn.
It's the high amperage that gets me. That was always a problem with dry cells.
Thing I have is rated at 300 mA continuous (for 12V, I assume), but 1700 mA peak. which I think works out to 3.6 watts continuous and 20 watts peak? But I don't actually understand electronics at all.

(It's not really supposed to start a car from a totally dead battery, but I did manage it. Drained like 2/3 of the battery capacity and took fifteen minutes, though.)
Take another look. You couldn't jump start a golf cart with that.
This little 50 dollar trouser jumper throws out a thousand Amperes and will turn over a Jaguar. VROOM VROOM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Highway

Post by Highway »

Warren wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 01:29
Jadagul wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 21:09
Warren wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 20:53
Jadagul wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 20:24 Batteries have gotten a lot better over the past decade. A _lot_ better.
If a thing you carry in your trouser pocket can throw 10+ kilowatts, I'd say so. Cause damn.
It's the high amperage that gets me. That was always a problem with dry cells.
Thing I have is rated at 300 mA continuous (for 12V, I assume), but 1700 mA peak. which I think works out to 3.6 watts continuous and 20 watts peak? But I don't actually understand electronics at all.

(It's not really supposed to start a car from a totally dead battery, but I did manage it. Drained like 2/3 of the battery capacity and took fifteen minutes, though.)
Take another look. You couldn't jump start a golf cart with that.
This little 50 dollar trouser jumper throws out a thousand Amperes and will turn over a Jaguar. VROOM VROOM
That's what the technician had who helped me. The detachable connectors seems nice.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 08:15 The detachable connectors seems nice.
The wires look way too thin for a kilo-amp. But if you're only going to push that much through them for two seconds, they probably won't melt the insulation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jeez the kids really have ruined everything. Called to get pizza delivered; it's one of those places where everything is some gourmet thing. I called to see if we could get a ham-and-pineapple, nope.

This is the culinary equivalent of a civilization that lives in sky scrapers but no one remembers how to build a shack. A pizza place, that DOESN'T HAVE HAM, ONLY BACON. SMH.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Technically that would be an Italian-inspired flatbread food product, but yeah no ham is pushing it a bit.

Did they say, 'eh'? They could've meant back-bacon and not understood that in the US we view Canadian bacon as basically ham anyway, and bacon means bacon, not back-bacon.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Places that don't allow substitutions or customization because the chef is some gourmet artiste are not worth patronizing. But really, refusing to serve you a Hawaiian pizza is just for your own good.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 21:46 Places that don't allow substitutions or customization because the chef is some gourmet artiste are not worth patronizing. But really, refusing to serve you a Hawaiian pizza is just for your own good.
It's the Masterpiece Cakeshop principle.
JD

Post by JD »

This has started popping up on my Mac. Apparently I am far from the only one to get this. The really annoying thing is that if you click either button the dialog box just comes back five seconds later. So far I am really not loving Catalina.
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.29.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.29.11 PM.png (38.03 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 22:37 This has started popping up on my Mac. Apparently I am far from the only one to get this. The really annoying thing is that if you click either button the dialog box just comes back five seconds later. So far I am really not loving Catalina.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.29.11 PM.png
You've seen this?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Amazon's cutting into Apple's overpriced music business and vice versa, so of course they're going to treat each other's apps as malware.

You know, it's almost like the music industry is saying "okay, we give up -- pirate away."
JD

Post by JD »

Warren wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 23:40 You've seen this?
That's the article I linked to, yes.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

:oops:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

My neighborhood has two bicycle repair shops: a long-time local shop, and snooty high-end shop. Snooty high-end shop is the kind of place where if you take a bike in and it isn't some $500 hipster bullshit they sneer at you for having a peasant bike, so fuck them, and I always take ours to the older place.

But lately my patience with them has been wearing really thin, because every time it's the same thing; they say "It'll take about two days", and you call them in two days and they say, "It's almost done, it will be ready tomorrow." Whether you call back the next day, or wait two days, or three days, it's the exact same thing: "Oh, we're just finishing up, it will be ready tomorrow." Something they originally told me would take two business days has now been a week and a half. I'd rather that they were just honest with me the first time, because if they'd said a week and a half I would have been satisfied with that.
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 13:11 My neighborhood has two bicycle repair shops: a long-time local shop, and snooty high-end shop. Snooty high-end shop is the kind of place where if you take a bike in and it isn't some $500 hipster bullshit they sneer at you for having a peasant bike, so fuck them, and I always take ours to the older place.

But lately my patience with them has been wearing really thin, because every time it's the same thing; they say "It'll take about two days", and you call them in two days and they say, "It's almost done, it will be ready tomorrow." Whether you call back the next day, or wait two days, or three days, it's the exact same thing: "Oh, we're just finishing up, it will be ready tomorrow." Something they originally told me would take two business days has now been a week and a half. I'd rather that they were just honest with me the first time, because if they'd said a week and a half I would have been satisfied with that.
In general, I think it's just shitty business practice to not give realistic estimates for anything that you're doing. Sure I understand if something comes up and someone gets sick, or an emergency happens, and now things get delayed, but be honest with customers about that. People are always going to be relying on both your cost and time estimate, and if either one is wrong, then they're going to be put out. And if you're saying it knowing it will be wrong, (and even worse, stringing along when it is wrong), then you're just a jerk.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I tossed out my old toothbrush last night and took a new one from the drawer -- I have no brand loyalty regarding toothbrushes so long as they are ADA-recognized, and within those parameters I'll buy whatever adult-size medium-to-firm bristle brushes Dollar Tree has in packs of two or more -- the new one came from an unopened two-pack of Close-Up brand brushes, and it is indeed a good toothbrush ... except the handle is just a *little* bit too big around to fit in either of our two toothbrush holders. And I just checked -- all but three of the unused toothbrushes in the relevant drawer are Close-Up.

I still have no brand loyalty regarding toothbrushes so long as they are ADA-recognized, but I have just now developed a bit of brand anti-loyalty: I'm not buying anymore Close-Up brushes (though I fully intend to make use of the ones I have already, of course).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I decided to clean and straighten out the closet where I keep my riding related clothing and related stuff I can't store at the barn. I pulled everything out, preparing to put it all back in good order. The closet is just off my kitchen dining area, so I spread the stuff around there for sorting.

I accidentally knocked over a bottle of 'Show Sheen' (it's a preparation you put on your horse after you've finished grooming to make the horse look glossy while you are riding in a show). The cap wasn't quite tight and I didn't notice for a while, so a fair amount of it flowed over the floor.

When I noticed, I grumbled, then cleaned everything up, including washing the floor afterwards. However, the kitchen dining area now has a 'waxy' odor. It's not a bad smell, but it is annoying.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex