Universal Corona Income

Aresen

Re: Universal Corona Income

Post by Aresen »

Shem wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 18:54 Read something today that argued that while sending people money probably isn't the best option, if we're going to do it, it should be on a federally backed credit card that'll expire after a few months. That way, everyone who gets one has to spend it, or else lose the money.
If you are in the class that could afford to save that money rather than spend it, you could use the card to make the purchases you might otherwise have made out of your own funds and simply put your own funds into savings instead.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:11
Shem wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 18:54 Read something today that argued that while sending people money probably isn't the best option, if we're going to do it, it should be on a federally backed credit card that'll expire after a few months. That way, everyone who gets one has to spend it, or else lose the money.
If you are in the class that could afford to save that money rather than spend it, you could use the card to make the purchases you might otherwise have made out of your own funds and simply put your own funds into savings instead.
Wait! What? Money is fungible?
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:22
Aresen wrote: 27 Jan 2021, 19:11
Wait! What? Money is fungible?
Oh, so THAT'S what the doctor was talking about. He kept saying this is guaranteed to get rid of it, and I thought he was a bit too confident that he could get rid of all the fungi. But no, he just meant that the meds and blood tests would ensure that I don't have any more fungible money.

*Phew* Everything makes sense now.
"...if that monkey gets any smarter it's going to start shorting TSLA."
--JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

One of those days small.jpg
One of those days small.jpg (198.1 KiB) Viewed 421 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

It isn’t really stimulus. We don’t need stimulus. On the low end it’s anti poverty which is good and anything above like household 40k is pandering.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I figured they called it a 'stimulus" because calling it anything like "relief" or "assistance" would piss off the Bootstrap Brigade.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Jennifer wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 17:50 I figured they called it a 'stimulus" because calling it anything like "relief" or "assistance" would piss off the Bootstrap Brigade.
Also would suggest a $75k cutoff is stupid high for "relief". Which it was. As is demonstrated by the desperate need to buy garbage stocks. Not financial advice.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JasonL wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 18:28
Jennifer wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 17:50 I figured they called it a 'stimulus" because calling it anything like "relief" or "assistance" would piss off the Bootstrap Brigade.
Also would suggest a $75k cutoff is stupid high for "relief". Which it was. As is demonstrated by the desperate need to buy garbage stocks.
Um ... are you saying the reddit stock purchases were primarily from Americans spending their unneeded stimulus money? That's quite a claim without evidence.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Jennifer wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 18:51
Also would suggest a $75k cutoff is stupid high for "relief". Which it was. As is demonstrated by the desperate need to buy garbage stocks.
Um ... are you saying the reddit stock purchases were primarily from Americans spending their unneeded stimulus money? That's quite a claim without evidence.
I know nothing of evidence, but it is a central part of the current GameStopGate mythology.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

lunchstealer wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 17:23
Jennifer wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 18:51
I know nothing of evidence, but it is a central part of the current GameStopGate mythology.
Wouldn't surprise me; I was kind of expecting the stimulus check to trigger some sort of stock bubble (based on the Matt Levine "Boredom in Markets" hypothesis).

But I don't have any real evidence that it did in fact happen.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I mean, if it's mostly or entirely $2,000 stock purchases made by people with no other assets, then I guess the stimulus check would be to blame. But I've not seen any evidence of that.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Who's got two thumbs and really needed the $600 trumpcheck that showed up this weekend? A guy driving Uber to feed his kids.

I, on the other hand, evenly divided my Trumpland Fun Bux between the regional homeless coalition, the regional food bank, and the local mutual aid society.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 22:04 Who's got two thumbs and really needed the $600 trumpcheck that showed up this weekend? A guy driving Uber to feed his kids.

I, on the other hand, evenly divided my Trumpland Fun Bux between the regional homeless coalition, the regional food bank, and the local mutual aid society.
I find your infidelity to hookers and blow unsettling.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lshap

Post by lshap »

Hugh, well done.

Also Warren, that did make me laugh.

On a more serious note, there's an organizational issue I've observed locally with both the stimulus checks and other relief measures. There's an unfortunate disconnect between monies made available to states and locales and getting it into the right hands, like local organizations who do direct service in the community.

Years ago (possibly even in Reason) I remember reading about the difficulties inherent in NGOs trying to assist during emergencies, and trying to work with or around government entities and their own interests (often corrupt).

But I didn't realize some of the same issues exist here, depending on where you live. I'm in a county that's a mix of very poor and very well off. We have many struggling (homeless, even) families. We were given $1m in relief earmarked for mortgage and rent assistance, which is great except there's no mechanism to get the funds to people. The Salvation Army asked for access to 200k and got it and used it. The remainder just sat until the deadline ran out at end of year.

Figuring out how to solve things like this seems more valuable to me than many of the grand plans from DC.
-linguist
Shem

Post by Shem »

lshap wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 21:58 Hugh, well done.

On a more serious note, there's an organizational issue I've observed locally with both the stimulus checks and other relief measures. There's an unfortunate disconnect between monies made available to states and locales and getting it into the right hands, like local organizations who do direct service in the community.

Years ago (possibly even in Reason) I remember reading about the difficulties inherent in NGOs trying to assist during emergencies, and trying to work with or around government entities and their own interests (often corrupt).

But I didn't realize some of the same issues exist here, depending on where you live. I'm in a county that's a mix of very poor and very well off. We have many struggling (homeless, even) families. We were given $1m in relief earmarked for mortgage and rent assistance, which is great except there's no mechanism to get the funds to people. The Salvation Army asked for access to 200k and got it and used it. The remainder just sat until the deadline ran out at end of year.

Figuring out how to solve things like this seems more valuable to me than many of the grand plans from DC.
8 months ago I got handed $550K and told "use this to hire people to provide assistance with Covid-19." My program helps people train for jobs in the private sector. It was definitely very much a "the fuck I'm supposed to do with this?" moment.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Shem wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 00:54

8 months ago I got handed $550K and told "use this to hire people to provide assistance with Covid-19." My program helps people train for jobs in the private sector. It was definitely very much a "the fuck I'm supposed to do with this?" moment.
So what did end up happening with the money?
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 01:13

Let's hope he bought $550 worth of GameStop stock.
Shem

Post by Shem »

Jennifer wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 01:13

Fortunately, Congressional malfeasance in letting local government run out of pandemic response funds meant that there were a couple county programs running quarantine or testing that were about to run out of money at the turn of the year. I'm using it to keep them going until Congress hopefully comes through with more money.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
lshap

Post by lshap »

Jennifer wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 01:13 So what did end up happening with the money?
Good question! I believe the money allotted to us was "theoretical until used" so it reverted to the feds. But actually, I'm going to follow up on that. Because if it went into the general fund, I might have something to say about that as a member of the Affordable Housing Board.

Shem - that's another good example! I mean, good intentions and all, but...
-linguist