what's so funny about that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

Re: what's so funny about that?

Post by Shem »

dhex wrote: 09 Jul 2011, 14:26 louis ck is brutal. ... i would recommend it for the mood jerks
Boy, talk about "word choices that are hilarious in retrospect."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I definitely think I don’t like the average Coen brothers movie as much as everyone else does. Watched Burn After Reading for the first time last night, and I fell again that it was missing another gear, or (to borrow a phrase) one more thing to tie everything together. The particular thing I’m thinking of are the expo dumps by Sledge Hammer & J K Simmons that maybe could have been scenes? Or even with a rule of three, one more scene with Simmons.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 15:38 I definitely think I don’t like the average Coen brothers movie as much as everyone else does. Watched Burn After Reading for the first time last night, and I fell again that it was missing another gear, or (to borrow a phrase) one more thing to tie everything together. The particular thing I’m thinking of are the expo dumps by Sledge Hammer & J K Simmons that maybe could have been scenes? Or even with a rule of three, one more scene with Simmons.
Burn After Reading is definitely not the Coens' best work. It's fun but not memorable. Same with Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers (I need to rewatch the Alec Guinness original to compare)
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

I run hot and cold on the Coens. A google search shows that there's still a lot I haven't watched yet. Fargo was one of those, I never knew a movie could be this good, experiences. But wading through the likes of Barton Fink and A Serious Man to get to it, sometimes I wonder if the price of admission isn't too high.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Warren wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 17:13 I run hot and cold on the Coens. A google search shows that there's still a lot I haven't watched yet. Fargo was one of those, I never knew a movie could be this good, experiences. But wading through the likes of Barton Fink and A Serious Man to get to it, sometimes I wonder if the price of admission isn't too high.
Ha I was about to mention Barton Fink and A Serious Man, the latter of which is one of my favorites. But for me even their "meh" movies are still worth watching. You can't do as many movies, and as many good-to-great movies as they have and not have a few let downs.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I like about half of the Coen Bros work, and I imagine without checking that most people are about the same. My favorite is the Hudsucker Proxy, and I'll never understand the love for Raising Arizona.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Well if they're blaming libertarians again then things must be going back to normal." ~dbcooper
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 13:11 I like about half of the Coen Bros work, and I imagine without checking that most people are about the same. My favorite is the Hudsucker Proxy, and I'll never understand the love for Raising Arizona.
Or anything else With Nicolas Cage.*

*Confession: I was serving overseas when I saw Peggy Sue Got Married in our little base theater, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit.
There are a lot of caveats that may account for this, such as how stressed we all were, and how starved for American Entertainment we all were. But mostly I think it's down to Nic Cage not having developed into full Nicolas Cage, and a little Nic was just quirky enough. Though even in the 80's, rapey Nic was unsettling.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT